Wednesday, August 31, 2011
The "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty" exhibit at the Met's Costume Institute, which set attendance records and was extended — by both days and opening hours — until the museum couldn't extend it further (the galleries it was housed in needed to be turned over for a new exhibit), is likely headed to London.
McQueen released the following statement after a petition to bring the exhibit to London was mounted: "Alexander McQueen appreciates the huge amount of interest the public has shown towards the Savage Beauty exhibition. We have been in discussion with a number of major venues in London for some time now, however nothing has been finalized. Please be assured that an official announcement will be made the moment we confirm our plans for London."
The goal is reportedly to show the exhibit in London in 2013, for the label's twentieth anniversary.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Simons lives alone in Antwerp — although he is obligated to spend almost 110 days a year in Milan, working on Jil Sander — but it sounds like he is considering a move. Berlin and New York are both prospects, with New York the frontrunner because of its art world connections and because he prefers it to Berlin, Simons says. "In this business, I know I could work somewhere else one day," he adds. "But I'll always keep this apartment [in Antwerp]." There were recently unconfirmed rumors that Simons may be collaborating with Kanye West on his impending line; no word as to whether such a collaboration — if the rumors are true — might prompt such a move.
Monday, August 29, 2011
After this year's record-breaking Alexander McQueen-themed exhibit, what will the Costume Institute pick to focus on for the 2012 gala and exhibit? WWD reports hearing that Miuccia Prada and Elsa Schiaparelli will be the focus, but further details could not be learned, and the Met declined comment on the matter.
Friday, August 26, 2011
Thursday, August 25, 2011
Daphne Guinness, a longtime champion of Alexander McQueen, reveals that originally she was afraid to meet the designer: “I admired him and didn’t want to meet him because I am quite shy, but Isabella [Blow] said I must. But I didn’t want to be a groupie. It had to happen organically. You don’t have to know someone to love their work. One day he saw me walking across the street in his kimono and he ran up to me and said, 'I’m the person you don’t want to meet!' We went to a pub and hit it off. Of course after that I was so irritated not to have known him before!”
Monday, August 22, 2011
A couple of weeks after rumors popped up suggesting that Marc Jacobs was at the top of the pack to take over as Dior's new designer, reports corroborate that the rumors just might be true.
According to WWD, Bernard Arnault is in talks with Jacobs about moving from Louis Vuitton to Dior, and meetings have reportedly been scheduled in Paris this week between Dior officials and legal representatives for Jacobs. Jacobs, who signed on as Vuitton's artistic director in 1997, has been in the midst of renewing his employment contract at Vuitton, but those discussions are said to have been put on hold, pending the outcome of Jacobs's discussions with Dior.
One source cautioned WWD that deal with Jacobs is not done, but both the designer and Dior management are so far "excited" about the prospect. If the deal goes through, Jacobs will get his first opportunity as a couturier, and his business partner Robert Duffy would come with him. Dior declined to comment on the reports, and Jacobs could not be reached for comment.
As for who would replace Jacobs at Vuitton, it sounds like Phoebe Philo could be first in line. LVMH has already reportedly held preliminary discussions with Philo, who is said to be "intrigued" by the project. If the shuffling plays out, it's reportedly likely she would design Vuitton in addition to Celine.
WWD reports that a number of potential candidates have been approached to succeed John Galliano, who exited Dior in March, including Alber Elbaz, Nicolas Ghesquière, Sarah Burton, Haider Ackermann and Hedi Slimane. Elbaz and Ghesquiere, who both have equity stakes in and strong commitments to the houses they design for, have withdrawn themselves from the running, and Burton is said to have rebuffed overtures. Talks with Ackermann and Slimane, meanwhile, did not end in an agreement. As for Riccardo Tisci, he is still considered a dark-horse candidate, and has been championed by Delphine Arnault, Dior deputy managing director and Bernard Arnault's daughter.